Is there now a cure for AIDS/HIV? Learn about the science behind this experimental treatment in our free, fully-editable infographic.
The case study in a nutshell
A new case of long-term HIV remission was reported on a patient living with HIV who received a blood stem cell transplant for high-risk acute myeloid leukemia and has been free of the virus for 14 months after stopping antiretroviral drug treatment.
What is AIDS ?
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) is a chronic, life-threatening condition caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). By damaging your immune system, HIV interferes with your body's ability to fight infection and disease.
New Breakthrough: New York woman in remission from HIV
A New York woman who was diagnosed with acute HIV infection and myeloid leukemia has been in remission from both diseases for 14 months after receiving an experimental stem-cell transplant procedure. The cutting-edge stem cell transplant method replaces an individual’s immune system with another person’s, treating their cancer while also curing their HIV.
How does the new treatment work?
The original immune system is destroyed with chemo or radiotherapy to eliminate immune cells infected with HIV despite effective antiretroviral treatment. Then, a combined stem cell graft is administered causing new viral copies to be unable to infect any other immune cells.
Timeline of HIV cases in remission
The visuals used in this article were created fully in BioRender and are available as editable templates. Login to BioRender to create your own custom infographic!
- Mandavilli, A. 2022. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/health/hiv-cure-cord-blood.html
- Rapaport, L. 2022. https://www.everydayhealth.com/hiv-aids/new-treatment-on-track-to-cure-woman-of-hiv/
- Ryan, B. 2022. https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-health-and-wellness/scientists-possibly-cured-hiv-woman-first-time-rcna16196
- Dieffenbach, C. 2022. (video). https://www.youtube.com/watchv=f1UzHQidVkc&ab_channel=HIVgov
- Bryson, Y. 2022. (video). https://www.aidsmap.c om/video/croi-2022-hiv-remission-after-transplant
- Highleyman, L. 2022. https://www.aidsmap.com/news/feb-2022/new-york-woman-free-hiv-14-months-after-stem-cell-transplant
- Mayoclinic. 2022. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hiv-aids/symptoms-causes/syc-20373524