What inspired you to join the BioRender team?
I had a few hard requirements that BioRender met, and that made me feel super excited about joining the team:
- Compelling product and mission – I wanted to work on a product that I thought was solving a legitimate problem, would be fun to build, and that I’d be proud to speak about. I also wanted to dedicate more of my time to social impact, and so BioRender’s mission to help scientists fulfilled my desire to do more altruistic work.
- People I know think the product is good – My two amazing scientist friends both spoke highly of BioRender! One of them shared that their VP had recently said her figures were the best that they had ever seen, and she used BioRender to make them.
- Awesome teammates – I want to work with smart and nice people who want to win – pretty simple – and the people I met during my interview process displayed a ton of care towards me and each other, brilliance, and eagerness to make an impact, so that box was easily checked off!
- Strong growth trajectory – I wanted to join a company that could financially prove that they were growing strongly and consistently. BioRender’s metrics gave me confidence that the company was winning and could continue to win.
What are you looking to accomplish as a Product Designer here at BioRender?
So many things! At the top of my list: (1) I am so pumped to release a new and huge feature with my product team in the coming months – a lot of hard work has been put into it, (2) I’m also excited to bring my experience in using data to inform product/design decisions into the team’s processes, and (3) I’m eager for a product redesign of BioRender after all of the great enhancements they’ve made in the last several years.
What has been your favourite part of the onboarding experience?
Getting to know my teammates at a personal level and finding shared interests with them. After my second week at BioRender, I learned and played Age of Empires II with a few of the engineers in my team. It was a blast!
What has been an interesting project you have worked on?
All of my projects have been interesting from the start! My very first design project was text hyperlinking, and it was a lot of fun to work on because it’s an excellent example of how small details like keyboard and cursor interactions matter.
What methods, tools or techniques do you use to stay organized and focused at work?
Two big things:
- Deadlines – often self-imposed, but they motivate me and hold me accountable
- Slack reminders – I will frequently note something I need to do in a Slack message to myself and then set or snooze reminders until I get them done
What do you like to do outside of work?
Indoors: video games, board games, Magic the Gathering, baking, weight lifting
Outdoors: camping, hiking, rock climbing, most sports (currently playing pickleball)
What's your go-to comfort food or favourite dish?
Spaghetti carbonara – it’s rich, heavy, and caloric, but it always hits the spot. My new favourite spot is Olio e Più in New York, which serves a fatty but not too greasy carbonara. And to my surprise, I haven’t found carbonara that I’ve liked in San Francisco, so if anyone has recommendations, let me know!
What is your dream vacation destination, and what draws you to that place?
Patagonia – I love a good alpine view, and my favorite puffy fanny pack is from the brand Patagonia!
What is a piece of advice you would give to new BioBuddies?
Ask as many questions as possible and as fast as possible to get you ramped up! As someone who was unfamiliar with the industry and what the life of a scientist could entail, I had a lot to learn about the space to better understand the value and potential of the product. Everyone at BioRender cares about getting you onboarded as quickly as possible, so don’t hold back your questions.
If you are interested in joining Wendy and the Product team, head on over to our careers page to learn more! You can also try out our product for free by signing up for a BioRender account here.